Sunday, July 7, 2024

Using Universal Design

Pertaining to Universal Design for Learning (UDL), I am already using the aspects:

As a current Kindergarten teacher, I do include aspects of choice and preference for my students. But, I have also included limits to those, so I am not using a true UDL model. The UDL planning model is a valuable resources to compare my current practices with. Regarding these, I am goal setting, planning and providing reflection based on student learning. 

Pertaining to Universal Design for Learning (UDL), I could integrate these aspects right now:

I am going to start with changing how I make goals for my students. With a UDL model goals needs to be more clear but flexible to accommodate all learners and all needs. Comparing goals, my original goal might be: Students will be able to respond to the prompt in their journal. A UDL goal would be more like: Students will be able to draw a picture and will talk about it. The UDL goal still has the end in mind but opens up possibilities for students to gain success by communicating in different ways. We need to make sure there isn't just one way for students to show what they know. 


Pertaining to Universal Design for Learning (UDL), I might need some help implementing these aspects:

I need to differentiate more in my mind and teaching the differences of UDL and DI (differentiated instruction) because they aren't the same. They are similar but have different learning outcomes. 

DI - Information/content/expectation are presented to the student by the teacher to meet their needs, but there is no choice or preference considered for the student

UDL - Students are offered a "buffet" of information/content for them to choose. They are taught how to effectively choose by learning "multiple means of action and expression." This opens up options for students as they learn to monitor their perception and comprehension. Instead of immediately closing off options for students, all of the possibilities are there at the beginning. Then, they are able to filter through what would be best for them as an individual learner. To make this shift as a teacher I would utilize these resources as a guide: 

Unlearning: Changing Your Beliefs and Your Classroom with UDL by Allison Posey and Katie Novak

Equity by Design: Delivering on the Power and Promise of UDL by Mirko Chardin and Katie Novak  

Blog: The UDL Project 

How to Start UDL 

4 comments:

  1. Such great resources! This was a very exciting post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing! I am a Kindergarten teacher as well and it is can be hard to distinguish between differentiated instruction and UDL at such a young age. I like the links you put in, we do need to make the shift from DI to UDL and sometimes change can be hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank for sharing those resources! I am wrapping my brain around making goals for all the students I will be seeing in the library each week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked how you recognized what you immediately wanted to integrate! I felt the same when reviewing in hindsight! There is much more work to be done on my end too! Enlightening!

    ReplyDelete

Final Reflection

 https://www.imagineforest.com/media/s/stories/pdf/k15v6/teaching-students-in-the-digital-age.pdf?t=1722384236